This past month has not been easy for anyone and the uncertainty, fear and destabilization has us all on edge. I personally have seen many messages about using this time to create something awe inspiring and revolutionary; the great American novel, Oscar-worthy screenplays, a Louvre-worthy painting… no pressure, right? While it is true there is more time to be creative, the anxiety-inducing climate doesn’t lend itself to the practice. For artists, agencies and companies, it is important now more than ever to be creative. Creative with how you pivot your business, design your products and create your messaging in order to sustain your livelihood. So the question is, how do we do it?
I don’t have all the answers but here are some tips and tools I believe can help spark inspiration.
- Step away from your devices. Find time to unplug, even for 10 minutes and try and recenter yourself. Go for walks, do jumping jacks, meditate, find one piece that fits in your puzzle.
- Connect with your community. Other creatives and industry partners are all going through the same things. Sharing ideas helps create new ones.
- Make daily small and realistic goals. Thinking so far into the (unknown) future can be crippling. What can we accomplish today, in this hour? Write a “today list” and don’t be hard on yourself if something has to go on the “tomorrow list.”
- Ask “what can” and not “what if.” What can I do, my company do, my community do, with the skills we have?
- Break your routines. This is counterintuitive advise since others praise routine to establish normalcy, but monotony is the killer of creativity. Try waking up and doing one thing differently than you did the day before.
All of these things are easier said then done, but worth a try. We’d love to hear from you! What tips do you have to stay creative?